Rules for Trapping

Jokes, funny videos and amusing diversions.

Rules for Trapping

Postby Lance » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Since trapping has become such a popular pass-time lately, it is probably about time we set out some rules. There have already been incidents of people getting their feelings hurt over this game and that makes it not so much fun.

I will not have that.

Games are for fun or we have no business playing them.

Traps have also become a bit disruptive with some people thinking almost every post is a trap and posting off-topic in the thread to point out their suspicions.

So, until we can clearly define the rules for trapping that everyone will play by, I am declaring a moratorium on trapping.

Moderators: Please destroy new traps on site.

Everyone: Please discuss the rules for proper participation in UserTrap™

Thank you.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 am

End traps=solve problem.

Although less fun, and I have no idea what is going on with people getting their feelings hurt, it solves the situation.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Rules for Trapping

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:35 am

Dragon Star wrote:End traps=solve problem.

No arguement here. :mrgreen: But I'm probably in the minority among moderators on this one. :)
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby pmcolt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:38 am

All right, I was afraid this post was a trap.

I don't see the big deal about them. I think some folks went overboard with them, and some folks overreacted. If it's a trap, fine, move it to the Games area. If not, say so and get back on topic. Short of marking all trap threads in hunter orange, I don't know what else could be done to help.
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:39 am

:)

I like trapping, but then I grew up in Alaska where people are insane and easily amused.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:41 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:End traps=solve problem.

No arguement here. :mrgreen: But I'm probably in the minority among moderators on this one. :)

At this point i'm not so sure...but obviously this has made one hell of a big deal, so just ban them and be done with it.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:53 am

Dragon Star wrote:At this point i'm not so sure...but obviously this has made one hell of a big deal, so just ban them and be done with it.

No, Dragon Star, it hasn't. You are reading more into this than there is. My whole point is that we get things under control before it gets to be a big deal. Please don't over-react. That was part of the problem in the first place, though it had nothing to do with you.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:01 am

Thats not the point though, Lonewulf is tired of it, I don't particularly like it, and it's starting to get old every-time someone posts a thread no one replies because they think it is a trap.

If you all want them then fine, I don't really have a problem with it, but I vote drop it.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:22 am

I don't really understand the trapping thing - maybe it needs a bit of history to get it.

So anyway from a fresh perspective here's my guess on what's it about and how to introduce some order:

It seems that the idea is that you start a thread with the specific idea of getting a response from a particular poster. Preferably the first response, although this seems to vary. It will be a pet topic of theirs but somehow false or frivolous. Once they respond there's a lot of "aha"ing and sometimes complex post editting.

The problem seems to be that there's no way of telling, even after the fact, whether a thread is a trap or just normal participation in the board.

So I suggest that
1. the OP of a trap thread must refer somehow to a trap, in an ingenious and hidden manner, which is explain after the trap is sprung. Otherwise it's not a trap.
2. For preference it should also refer to the intended victim, also as obscurely as desired.
3. And of course any editing on the OP will break the trap and render the hunter a target of ridicule.

Oh yes, I've noticed sometimes traps are mid-thread, in which case the same rules apply to the trap post.
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:59 am

I think Joffan is a natural :)
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:31 am

Hey, I got promoted to sexy hot minion! And keys to a new porshe, 2 weeks in Hawaii, a rare hairless cat, and a diamond bracelet that says #1 Minion!!! Woooohooo

Thanks Boss!

Your devoted and loving minion,

Teri
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:34 am

My pleasure.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:09 am

Let me get this straight, the moderators started threads to initially trap a certain poster. Somehow, this got out of hand, and the certain poster got upset. Now, everyone is getting penalized for initial faulty bad taste by the moderators. This is classic but sweet revenge! :lol:
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:16 am

Candy wrote:Let me get this straight, the moderators started threads to initially trap a certain poster. Somehow, this got out of hand, and the certain poster got upset. Now, everyone is getting penalized for initial faulty bad taste by the moderators. This is classic but sweet revenge! :lol:

Actually, that's not how it went down but its really not important.
I would tell you the whole story but I'm sworn to secrecy under penalty of death and dismemberment, in that order.
If I'm dismembered I'll never make it to the happy hunting grounds...
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:28 am

teri tait wrote:
Candy wrote:Let me get this straight, the moderators started threads to initially trap a certain poster. Somehow, this got out of hand, and the certain poster got upset. Now, everyone is getting penalized for initial faulty bad taste by the moderators. This is classic but sweet revenge! :lol:

I would tell you the whole story but I'm sworn to secrecy under penalty of death and dismemberment, in that order.

Well, I got several PM's telling me I was the first to post to "trapping a certain poster" threads. The PM's came from moderators, so I think I am pretty intune to the background. Thanks for keeping the secrecy, though. I just think this "backfire" is priceless. :glp-applause:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:42 am

Candy wrote:
teri tait wrote:

Well, I got several PM's telling me I was the first to post to "trapping a certain poster" threads. The PM's came from moderators, so I think I am pretty intune to the background. Thanks for keeping the secrecy, though. I just think this "backfire" is priceless. :glp-applause:

Well if moderators gave you the whole sordid tale, you must be right :)
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 am

teri tait wrote:Well if moderators gave you the whole sordid tale, you must be right :)

I'm not saying I'm right. I could and most likely am very well wrong. I'm just saying this particular thread is freaking funny based on personal interaction with most involved and the nature of the original post. Oh, welcome to my world! :lol:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:14 am

Candy wrote:
teri tait wrote:Well if moderators gave you the whole sordid tale, you must be right :)

I'm not saying I'm right. I could and most likely am very well wrong. I'm just saying this particular thread is freaking funny based on personal interaction with most involved and the nature of the original post. Oh, welcome to my world! :lol:

I think all the trap threads are funny. I especially like the one with the raptor eating the wulf, that was hilarious.
I am hunting bigger game, if and when the ban is lifted, of course. ;) Big game safari in the wilds...

Until then I will feed grapes to my favorite Administrator/Deity Lance :)
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:23 am

teri tait wrote:Until then I will feed grapes to my favorite Administrator/Deity Lance :)

Good Luck! :lol:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Assuming you're referring to me... which, according to past history, seems to be the most likely case.

A) I'm Lonewulf. Referring to me constantly as "a certain poster" is rather annoying.

B) I'm not really upset at the whole traps thing. In fact, I couldn't care less. It was just getting annoying after a while, and I was rolling my eyes at the silliness of the moderators.

C) I'm not sure how this is "revenge". Are you saying that you don't like what the moderators do, or are you somehow turning this around on me?
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Candy;

You are misreading the situation. KOS and I did PM you to try and keep you out of WulfTraps™, but that was weeks ago when we first started doing this.

It is nothing like that, that backfired.

There was a simple misunderstand, apparently, between KOS and myself on the way something should be allowed to play out. Nothing more. And it has nothing to do with you.

It was just a gag that went bad...

Now, can we please get over this trap-nap-flop-flap?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 pm

Traps are like administrators: you have to lay them right the first time ;)

<minion runs in and feeds Lance grapes>

Thanks for the new plasma t.v., boss! It looks great next to the original Renoir you just had delivered!

Your loving and devoted minion,

Teri
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 pm

I apologize, Lance. My boss has said sometimes, I must just apologize and back away from the situation. This will avoid conflict to the parties disagreeing. I am taking her advice. I will stop watching this thread. I don't want to create an unpleasant atmosphere. Again, my apologies. Have a great day! :D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Ok, how about we start from this and edit as we go:

1) Do NOT edit any posts, this goes for Moderators/Lance and Posters alike.

2) If someone obviously isn't going to get the joke, or find it not funny, don't provoke them with the game, just leave them alone.

3) The trap is sprung on the target person you want to trap, if anyone mentions that it is a trap, then the trap is sprung, and the first person to post in your trap thread is your capture, no exceptions. If you did not get your target member, too bad.

Edit or change what you want.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:46 pm

Candy wrote:I apologize, Lance.

Thanks, but none is necessary.

I wasn't complaining about your post, just trying to fill you in.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Toys-Я-Us