US backs Muslims in cartoon dispute

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:41 pm

Have you seen this?

the United States sided with Muslims outraged that the publications put press freedom over respect for religion

Now, does anyone have any other questions regarding this administrations blatent disregard for the Constitution?

Reuters Article

By Saul Hudson
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States backed Muslims on Friday against European newspapers that printed caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in a move that could help America's battered image in the Islamic world.

Inserting itself into a dispute that has become a lightning rod for anti-European sentiment across the Muslim world, the United States sided with Muslims outraged that the publications put press freedom over respect for religion.

"These cartoons are indeed offensive to the belief of Muslims," State Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper said in answer to a question.

"We all fully recognize and respect freedom of the press and expression but it must be coupled with press responsibility. Inciting religious or ethnic hatreds in this manner is not acceptable."

American Muslims welcomed the U.S. position, although it stopped short of urging American media not to republish the cartoons that include depicting Mohammad as a terrorist.

Cooper said he had no comment as to why the United States chose to pass judgment in a dispute that ostensibly does not involve America.

But the United States, which was founded by immigrants fleeing religious persecution, has previously spoken out against publications offensive to believers of other faiths.

"Anti-Muslim images are as unacceptable as anti-Semitic images, as anti-Christian images or any other religious belief," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters.

The United States, which before the September 11 attacks was criticized for insensitivity to the Islamic culture, has become more attuned to Muslim sensibilities.

Accusations last year that U.S. officials desecrated the Koran sparked deadly riots in Asia and heightened that awareness.

DIFFERENT RESPONSE IN U.S. AND EUROPE

Major U.S. publications have not republished the cartoons.

In contrast, some European media responded to the criticism against the Danish newspaper that originally printed the caricatures by reproducing the images and fueled anger that has led to boycotts of Danish products and widespread protests.

The U.S. response contrasted with European governments, which have tended to acknowledge the tension between free speech and respect for religion but have generally accepted the newspapers' rights to print the cartoons.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American Islamic Relations, told Reuters he welcomed the U.S. position.

The State Department reaction "was a strong statement in support of Muslims around the world. It's a reflection of the concern felt by millions of Muslims and I think it will be appreciated," he said.

"It is support for an understanding that with freedom comes responsibility."

But Stephen Zunes, a professor of politics at the University of San Francisco and a Bush administration critic, said the United States was responsible for creating far more anger in the Muslim world because of its invasion of Iraq.

"The United States is the last nation that should caution against unnecessarily inflaming sentiments in the Muslim world," he said.

The U.S. criticism of the newspapers also comes after the Pentagon complained over a Washington Post cartoon.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff sent an unusual letter to the editor published on Thursday, denouncing as "reprehensible" and "beyond tasteless" a cartoon earlier in the week portraying Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld as insensitive to U.S. troop casualties.

The cartoon portrayed a soldier who had lost his arms and legs with Rumsfeld at his hospital bedside saying, "I'm listing your condition as 'battle hardened.'"
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Animal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:22 am

What'd ya mean THIS administration?
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Re: US backs Muslims in cartoon dispute

Postby Мастер » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:43 am

Lance wrote:Now, does anyone have any other questions regarding this administrations blatent disregard for the Constitution?

Personally, I don't, but for other reasons. I don't see this as censorship, or even a call for censorship, unless there is something going on not indicated in the excerpted quotes. Maybe these US officials are just glad Moslems are ticked off at someone else for a change...

N
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:53 am

You must be more familiar with the Danish constitution than I am.

I suppose that there's a fine line between censorship and asking people to think before they speak, but I think that the US response is a little more along the lines of asking them to think before they speak.

That being said, I'm not sure what business it is of ours what gets printed in Danish papers. And I'm not sure at all what, if anything, the US hopes to gain from this politically. If anything, we've now angered (or further angered) the Danish with the impression that we are telling them what to do. And I also doubt that Muslims who are upset over political cartoons would give any credence to the US position on the matter. It is possible that we'll encourage a few of the moderate Muslims, but I'd say the overall impact will probably be negative.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Animal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:52 am

MM_Dandy wrote:You must be more familiar with the Danish constitution than I am.

I suppose that there's a fine line between censorship and asking people to think before they speak, but I think that the US response is a little more along the lines of asking them to think before they speak.

That being said, I'm not sure what business it is of ours what gets printed in Danish papers. And I'm not sure at all what, if anything, the US hopes to gain from this politically. If anything, we've now angered (or further angered) the Danish with the impression that we are telling them what to do. And I also doubt that Muslims who are upset over political cartoons would give any credence to the US position on the matter. It is possible that we'll encourage a few of the moderate Muslims, but I'd say the overall impact will probably be negative.

dude, the U.S. can't win in public opinion no matter what. Everybody gets pissed at us, everybody blames us for every single freaking problem. We can't win, period. I say fuck it, give up trying to appease.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Superluminal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:24 am

A little off topic: I've always thought it odd that someone can say something in public, that could start a riot, getting 2 or 3 people killed, and be arrested for inciting a riot. Yet the same thing printed in a paper, starting a dozen riots, causing the deaths of 50 people, is protected free speech. Just a comment.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby The Beer Slayer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:32 pm

This global tantrum over a couple of mild cartoons is absolutely absurd. I think it was Voltaire that said: "Oh lord, make my enemies ridiculous..."
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

I saw them

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:32 pm

I saw the cartoons.

They are pretty tame.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:18 am

Compared to what?

Most Islamic countries don't have a free press.
Most people there have never seen anything like it.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Superluminal » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:45 am

Most people here would be shocked to see what is in alot of mid-east newspapers. Graphic pictures of dead people, mostly killed by Israel. I never saw any dead Israeli's. And their editorial cartoons, make ours look like a kids comic.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:37 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:Most Islamic countries don't have a free press.

It wasn't published in an Islamic country. It was published in Denmark.

And...

The Islamic press defends what they publish about Isreal with the same "Freedom of the Press" claims made everywhere else.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Superluminal » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:00 pm

I would imagine that in the mid-east, the way freedom of the press works: is that as long as you are saying what the gov. approves of, your free to print it.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:42 pm

You are probably right on the money.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Animal » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm

...and the government only approves stuff that won't get them shot and keeps them in power.

We're dealing with 11th century mentallity and is being emboldened by a cowardly western society. As Ford Prefect said to Slartibartfast a a really high-flying part, "They care, we don't, they win." You all picking on Judeo-Christain religion is like a mouse beating up a hamster in order to show disdain for the cat.

My solution is simple. Shoot them. If they protest peacefully, cool. If they throw a rock, give 'em two int he chest and one in the head. I'm tired of being conciliatory. I'm tired of bending over backwards so that we "don't offend". They hate us and always will and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, we can ever do to change that.

So fuck it. Let's meet this Dark Age society head on and use terms that they understand.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 am

Superluminal wrote:I would imagine that in the mid-east, the way freedom of the press works: is that as long as you are saying what the gov. approves of, your free to print it.

None of the middle eastern countries are really at the forefront of press freedom, but there is a certain amount of variation. According to this organization, apart from Israel (not including the occupied territories), Kuwait and Lebanon get the best rankings. Or the worst, depending on your point of view...

Out of the countries I clicked on in the map, those with the best press freedom ratings were Sweden and Finland. The US got dinged for government attempts to force journalists to reveal their sources.

N
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill EE » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 am

Well from the reports I have heard and read the problem isn't the original 12 cartoons (which were published in Eygt at the time without any riots) but that some european Islamic leaders went to the middle east with these 12 plus 3 other "cartoons." These other cartoons included a smugged picture of a frenchman in a pig costume that was re-captioned to be an insult to the prophet - the other two cartoons were never published in Europe. So, for once, GLP was right - it was a psyops but the source of the operation is within the Islamic world.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby The Beer Slayer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:31 pm

I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm

Cruel Redneck wrote:http://www.zipperfish.net/free/yaafm12.php (profanity alert)

ROFL!

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Current Events and Politics