Jet Blue Emergency

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Jet Blue Emergency

Postby Superluminal » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 am

Jet Blue fl. 292, nose gear problems. Circling and making preparations for landing at LAX. All over the news right now in case your not watching.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:40 am

I just woke up. :evil:

A Safe Landing for Jet Blue

Passengers on an LA flight have a scare before a pilot makes a perfect emergency touchdown

Wow, the meeting I went to today was about airline incident procedures. We have some new changes, and we were getting briefed on it today. I believe Jet Blue stands alone in partnership and/or alliances, so this would have been followed up with a Universal Briefing Update on our part. We have Reservation offices all over the World, and customers often get the airlines confused. We work with a program called Apollo, so updating one profile would reach the World. 8)
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Animal » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:28 am

Candy wrote:Wow, the meeting I went to today was about airline incident procedures. We have some new changes, and we were getting briefed on it today. I believe Jet Blue stands alone in partnership and/or alliances, so this would have been followed up with a Universal Briefing Update on our part. We have Reservation offices all over the World, and customers often get the airlines confused. We work with a program called Apollo, so updating one profile would reach the World. 8)

I'm real curious as to what these incident procedures are for anyone not involved in flight operations or ground support. And what exactly is considered an "incident"? As a person why flies across the country at least once a month, I'd rather an airline spend resources training flight/ground staff on ways to keep the plane in operation rather than on how phone people can fend off questions.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Candy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:45 am

First, I can assure you that United has the best mechanics and pilots the World over. United is very particular in this regards. My former boyfriend was a pilot for UA. He graduated from Purdue and was guaranteed two interviews with UA upon graduation. He was shot down the first time, and he ended up working for Northwest Airlines. After more flight time, he was hired by United. My company is the hardest to actually get a position with due to experience.

I will beat you silly if you question my company again!
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:07 am

KOS knows more about the Customer Relations side of United. He travels a lot. Hey KOS, my department, Reservations, is combining with CR before the end of the year. You will see a lot of changes for the better. My Director is a stickler for Happy Customers. :D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:20 am

After calming down thinking Animal was a direct threat to my company, I will answer his questions.

An incident is anything from two airplanes bumping while approaching the terminals to a full blown crash.

There are severity levels, usually based on passenger load and/or injury. 9/11 was whacked, so I don't want to use that as an example.

I think it was in 1982, US Airways crash in Pennsylvania that led to a Presidential action, per airline companies, for families of airplane incident victims. United has always had a procedure in place, so this was an action we assimilated well.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:46 am

I'm trying to figure out why this was even on the news, let alone that it was plastered everywhere...
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:02 am

Cl1mh4224rd wrote:I'm trying to figure out why this was even on the news, let alone that it was plastered everywhere...

Apparently, the pilot had a great landing for a very disabled aircraft. I've yet to see it on the news. I was sleeping when this all happened.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Candy wrote:KOS knows more about the Customer Relations side of United. He travels a lot. Hey KOS, my department, Reservations, is combining with CR before the end of the year.

My travel is rather sporadic. For example, other than a quick trip of < 1000 miles in October, I may not go anywhere until December. But at that time, I'll go at a minimum to Sydney, I may go to other places in Australia, and it is starting to look like I might go to SE Asia also...

My experience has been, regardless of the airline in the US/Canada/Europe/Australia/New Zealand, an economy-class trip is always barbaric. A business/first class trip stands a much better chance of being a pleasant experience. An economy class trip in Asia can be quite pleasant, my experience is quite varied in that regard. But, if you are flying within the US, and going economy class, my expectation is, regardless of the airline, it will suck...the market prefers cheap fares to good service, and the airlines deliver what the market wants...

You will see a lot of changes for the better. My Director is a stickler for Happy Customers. :D

I haven't spent much time on the phone with United customer relations, but I am always surprised at how much time the reservations agents are willing to spend chit-chatting with someone who is buying a $99 ticket...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Candy wrote:Apparently, the pilot had a great landing for a very disabled aircraft. I've yet to see it on the news. I was sleeping when this all happened.

Well, I'm talking about before the landing. "Breaking News!" and minute-to-minute coverage...

They don't even give an actual crash that much attention.
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:54 pm

But how often do they know ahead of time that there is going to be a crash? (Not counting what GLP thinks about 9/11 anyway...)

Though unlikely, this thing could have ended up cartwheeling down the runway in a ball of flames. Would it have been breaking news then?

They were anticipating a tragedy and wanted to make sure they got every second of it. I caught the "rebroadcast" of it on CNN's replay of Larry King Live last night and I found it riviting.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Animal » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:38 pm

Cl1mh4224rd wrote:
Candy wrote:Apparently, the pilot had a great landing for a very disabled aircraft. I've yet to see it on the news. I was sleeping when this all happened.

Well, I'm talking about before the landing. "Breaking News!" and minute-to-minute coverage...

They don't even give an actual crash that much attention.

I especially appreciate how our (Los Angles) Mayor dropped all other city buisness to rush to the scene... just in time to get on the evening news. What the hell do these politicians think they are contributing to events like this? They don't help nor add anything of value, and actually end up hurting the overall operation because of the distraction they cause.

And, uh, Candy, you probably should pick an industry that can actually come up with a decent buisness plan and not file for bankrupcy and government bailouts every few years to defend. As far as Wall Street tells me, United ain't exactly profitable, and J.D. Edwards' doesn't rank United at the top of the customer satisfaction list.

//eagerly waiting for the hissy fit that is about to ensue.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Animal wrote:They don't help nor add anything of value,

I don't think that is their objective...

And, uh, Candy, you probably should pick an industry that can actually come up with a decent buisness plan and not file for bankrupcy and government bailouts every few years to defend.

So raise money from shareholders, pay myself a nice salary, then file for bankruptcy, get a government bailout, and repeat the whole process? I'd say the shareholders don't seem to be doing too well here, nor the taxpayers, and quite possibly the passengers as well, but it sure doesn't sound like a bad business plan for the employees...

As far as Wall Street tells me, United ain't exactly profitable, and J.D. Edwards' doesn't rank United at the top of the customer satisfaction list.

//eagerly waiting for the hissy fit that is about to ensue.

Well, you might not get it if you advertise it first :D
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:54 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:So raise money from shareholders, pay myself a nice salary, then file for bankruptcy, get a government bailout, and repeat the whole process? I'd say the shareholders don't seem to be doing too well here, nor the taxpayers, and quite possibly the passengers as well, but it sure doesn't sound like a bad business plan for the employees...

Its especially nice to be in a Union where you are guarenteed a job, paise raise, etc. Its probably nicer to be upper management, though, with millions in golden parachutes (cool pun considering the subject.)

I like my own tech industry where I keep my job by being very, very good and my company (privately owned, not publically traded) continues to exist because the employees work hard.

Its of course obvious to anyone who's been around technology for years that the indudustry didn't start to suck green eggs until the Suits showed up with their stock schemes and the unions got involved with the help desk people.

Was that sufficiently inflamatory?
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:31 pm

Animal wrote:Was that sufficiently inflamatory?

No, I think you need to rachet it up a few notches... :D
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby neocracker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:21 pm

Lance wrote:But how often do they know ahead of time that there is going to be a crash? (Not counting what GLP thinks about 9/11 anyway...)

Though unlikely, this thing could have ended up cartwheeling down the runway in a ball of flames. Would it have been breaking news then?

They were anticipating a tragedy and wanted to make sure they got every second of it. I caught the "rebroadcast" of it on CNN's replay of Larry King Live last night and I found it riviting.

...could have ended cartwheeling down the runway...highly unlikely. The nose gear on any airliner is lightly loaded compared to the main gear.

...btw here's the FAA Office of Accident Investigation's entry:

********************************************************************************
** Report created 9/22/2005 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 536JB Make/Model: A320 Description: A-320
Date: 09/21/2005 Time: 0120

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor

DESCRIPTION
N536JB, A JETBLUE JBU292, AIRBUS A320, DEPARTED AND DIVERTED TO LOS ANGELES
AIRPORT BECAUSE OF AN UNSAFE NOSE GEAR (COCKED 90 DEGREES TO THE LEFT),
LANDED SAFELY, NO INJURIES REPORTED, PASSENGERS DEPLANED VIA STAIRS AND
BUSSED TO THE TERMINAL, LOS ANGELES, CA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA

Departed: BURBANK, CA Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: NEW YORK, NY Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: LOS ANGELES, CA (WP23) Entry date: 09/22/2005

neocracker
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:31 am

Lance wrote:But how often do they know ahead of time that there is going to be a crash?

Which is a bit disturbing. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm also transfixed by disasters, but it still feels so wrong. I'm somewhat disgusted by this media event. It just seemed like "this plane may crash and burn. If it does, hundreds may die... and we're going to bring it to you live. Stay tuned!"

But then... "reality" shows piss me off, too. Entertainment derived from the hardships and failures of others... :?

Animal wrote:I like my own tech industry where I keep my job by being very, very good and my company (privately owned, not publically traded) continues to exist because the employees work hard.

Well, really... the employees can work as hard as anything, but if upper management sucks, that company is going down in flames no matter what.

Was that sufficiently inflamatory?

I have super-powers, you know. Don't make me use them. :twisted:
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Animal » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:32 am

Candy wrote:I will beat you silly if you question my company again!

I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post.

This is extremely threatening language. You are threatening me with phsical violence.

Ain't this the kind of behaviour you are afraid of in others? I imagine that you might have even hit your hand on your desk when you saw my post, given your posted reaction. This is similar to punching a wall. Thus, you have just done exactly what your ex-coworker did.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:27 am

Animal wrote:I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post.

You probably forgot because you were feeling so threatened and intimidated.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Animal wrote:I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post.

You probably forgot because you were feeling so threatened and intimidated.

Yes. That's it. Thank you comrade. I also can't sleep.

[spoiler]the fact that I'm still working and shouldn't sleep at my desk has nothing to do with it and I'm insulted that you would even think that there is a correlation.[/spoiler]
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Candy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:26 am

Leaner United may be model for rival carriers
Delta, Northwest eye bankruptcy blueprint to keep up, stay in business

Nonetheless, the makeover of the nation's second-largest carrier serves as a likely blueprint for its two ailing rivals, which are expected to try to copy much of what United has done. Analysts say they have little choice but to follow the bankruptcy "leader" to keep up — and stay in business.

Not what I expected as part of history making, but if it gets rid of those hard working Union members, then so be it! Say hello to outsourcing, folks. :wink:

You'll have plenty of time to sleep then, Animal!
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Animal » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:49 am

Not real sure what Candy meant by that post, so I'll go ahead and slam Unions some more.

Accourding to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. productivity has risen while Union membership has fallen.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Candy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:03 am

Animal wrote:Not real sure what Candy meant by that post, so I'll go ahead and slam Unions some more.

Accourding to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. productivity has risen while Union membership has fallen.

Oh, I thought you were for Unions. :oops:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:08 am

Animal wrote:Not real sure what Candy meant by that post, so I'll go ahead and slam Unions some more.

A while back, Alan Greenspan seemed to be puzzled about the persistence of US productivity growth. I don't know if he still is.

To the extent that unions can get a higher wage than the market wage, that's a transfer from shareholders to workers that doesn't affect productivity. But if they get other things (i.e., lots of busy work, opposition to mechanization, preservation of inefficient work procedures, things like this) then they can definitely hurt productivity.

Predicting the future is a hazardous business, but I don't think labor unions are going to make a come back in the US, unless there is some legislation to promote/require them, and in that case, they won't have much power unless that is also legislated, or if there is protectionist legislation. A union is essentially a cartel, and its power comes from its ability to exclude non-union workers. In a global industry, if they can't do that on a global basis, well...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:36 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Predicting the future is a hazardous business, but I don't think labor unions are going to make a come back in the US, unless there is some legislation to promote/require them, and in that case, they won't have much power unless that is also legislated, or if there is protectionist legislation. A union is essentially a cartel, and its power comes from its ability to exclude non-union workers. In a global industry, if they can't do that on a global basis, well...

Unions are a Special Interest Group. You don't think SIG's will increase their power in the U.S.? have you been believing your namesake, dude?

I'm real curious if we Californians will vote for Proposition 75 which states that public employee Unions can [i]not[/] automatically withhold political contributions without the signed, writen consent of the union member. A similar law is in force in I think two other states. Union donations to political action groups dropped by 90%.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Next

Return to Current Events and Politics