Philosophy of Religion

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Postby St. Jimmy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:30 am

Today I learned that if I want to confuse myself, just look at my Philosophy of Religion textbook.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:34 am

I think it is a psyche experiment. They are watching you read the book through a one way mirror. They are snickering to themselves wondering how long it will take you to figure out it is gibberish. Like reading Finnegan's Wake.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:33 pm

the ontological theories on the existence of God, run in so many circles around each other, that they finally make sense. Descartes, spinoza, and lebintz, are ridiculous. Ijust think they were a some really smart gys, that wanted to prove God existed, knew they couldn't, so they came up with some confusing bullshit that people didn't have the mind power to attempt to argue in their time.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:04 pm

St. Jimmy wrote:the ontological theories on the existence of God, run in so many circles around each other, that they finally make sense. Descartes, spinoza, and lebintz, are ridiculous. Ijust think they were a some really smart gys, that wanted to prove God existed, knew they couldn't, so they came up with some confusing bullshit that people didn't have the mind power to attempt to argue in their time.

And it still works for many.

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Arneb » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 pm

St. Jimmy wrote:the ontological theories on the existence of God, run in so many circles around each other, that they finally make sense. Descartes, spinoza, and lebintz, are ridiculous. Ijust think they were a some really smart gys, that wanted to prove God existed, knew they couldn't, so they came up with some confusing bullshit that people didn't have the mind power to attempt to argue in their time.

Not to be snarky here, but I think before you make sweeping judgements about some of the world's foremost thinkers, you ought to compose your essays properly.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby St. Jimmy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Arneb wrote:
St. Jimmy wrote:the ontological theories on the existence of God, run in so many circles around each other, that they finally make sense. Descartes, spinoza, and lebintz, are ridiculous. I just think they were a some really smart gys, that wanted to prove God existed, knew they couldn't, so they came up with some confusing bullshit that people didn't have the mind power to attempt to argue in their time.

Not to be snarky here, but I think before you make sweeping judgements about some of the world's foremost thinkers, you ought to compose your essays properly.

Just a at-first-glance opinion on their theory on why God must exist. I think that the teleological and cosmological arguments for the existence of God are a bit more solid, than Descartes theory of, if the concept of a necessary being exists, then it can't not exist without self contradiction.

(can a moderator branch these last few posts into a separate thread in the religion forum?)
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 pm

The posts up until this point were split from this thread. Carry on.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Religion and Spirituality