Mormonism and Scientology

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Mormonism and Scientology

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 pm

The deeper I get into Mormon ideology the stranger it sounds. I wonder if anyone has heard of any scandals like the deaths that occured in Scientology Cult.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Mormonism and Scientology

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:33 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:I wonder if anyone has heard of any scandals like the deaths that occurred in Scientology Cult.

Can you provide some more information on this? Sounds interesting.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:24 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:The deeper I get into Mormon ideology the stranger it sounds. I wonder if anyone has heard of any scandals like the deaths that occured in Scientology Cult.

It is a church with many millions of followers. I am sure that if you look, you will find church-related scandals. Whether such scandals are more or less common than those related to other churches, I do not know.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:38 pm

IFilm has a cool video about Mormonism and what they really believe.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2757097

http://www.ifilm.com/posts/list/104571.page
I've got some news for you all. I joined the Mormon church two years ago, and this is exactly what they teach. The more outlandish things, like that God lives on a planet near a star called Kolab, aren't mentioned to newbies because they don't want to scare you away. But when you look into it, it's all in their documentation. Interestingly enough, the book of Mormon itself doesn't contain hardly any of the wierd things. The place where you find all that is in what's called "The Doctrine and Covenants". I personally think that Joseph Smith really did have some kind of encounter with the supernatural and that he really did translate the Book of Mormon like the video said. But then later on, like all human's do, he probably went power mad and started adding in his own ideas as though they came from God. For me that's the best explanation for why I can read the Book of Mormon and come away with a warm fuzzy feeling about God. But then I read the Doctrine and Covenants and I come away with one of those cartoon question marks above my head. The Mormon church really isn't a bad one. It's got nice, well intentioned people in it, people who really have a sincere desire to do good. Personally, I don't think the bizzare doctrines they hold are really any worse than the stuff Benny Hinn and Rod Parsely preach on television.

http://www.ifilm.com/posts/list/104571.page
I was a mormon for 30 years, and indeed that is EXACTLY the way the "plan of salvation" was taught for many years. For the curious and sincere, check out www.trialsofascension.net/mormon.html. I'm sure that they have since changed the details or the particular emphasis of this part of the mormon story to be more compatible to modern tastes... but the TRUTH is that's what they taught... ask a much older member and you'll see. Now, does that sound like "God's only true church" to you???
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm

Dragon Star wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:I wonder if anyone has heard of any scandals like the deaths that occurred in Scientology Cult.

Can you provide some more information on this? Sounds interesting.

I don't know a lot about the deaths themselves, but scientology (when it was a mobile navy) was very weird...

No time to talk about it right now, check out Wikipedia though. I read the works of an ex-scientologist, and the things that happened... weird.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby nicozine » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:19 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:The deeper I get into Mormon ideology the stranger it sounds. I wonder if anyone has heard of any scandals like the deaths that occured in Scientology Cult.

Read, Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer. His recounting of Mormon history upset the Mormon hierarchy quite a bit, but then, any religion probably has things in its early history that are best forgotten.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Return to Religion and Spirituality