The way it is...

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:37 am

Lonewulf, I think God made you as a gift to humankind to make us all feel better about ourselves by comparison and contrast.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:47 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:Lonewulf, I think God made you as a gift to humankind to make us all feel better about ourselves by comparison and contrast.

That's nice. Do you have anything to actually contribute to the discussion?
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:55 am

Lonewulf wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:Lonewulf, I think God made you as a gift to humankind to make us all feel better about ourselves by comparison and contrast.

That's nice. Do you have anything to actually contribute to the discussion?

Sure. God is that which no greater can be thought. This idea that God is a man living in the sky is something for George Carlin to poke fun at and for me to ignore.

Logically we should not be. The universe should not exist. This is what mathematics, science and logic tells us. We have to give a name to that elusive thing that explains why this is not true.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:06 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:Sure. God is that which no greater can be thought. This idea that God is a man living in the sky is something for George Carlin to poke fun at and for me to ignore.

Logically we should not be. The universe should not exist. This is what mathematics, science and logic tells us. We have to give a name to that elusive thing that explains why this is not true.

And you assume that I don't agree? I was giving ifs, you're giving is. Though I'm an Agnostic, and don't "believe" in God anyways.

Furthermore, if God did exist, and wasn't "a man on a throne", there still might be a way to ask a question that leads to an answer. It doesn't necessarily need to be a physical question.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:49 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:Logically we should not be. The universe should not exist. This is what mathematics, science and logic tells us.

I don't see how any of these fields have anything to say about what should be. Science has something to say about what is, and mathematics and logic tell us about what follows from the assumptions we have made.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:28 am

"Logically we should not be. The universe should not exist. This is what mathematics, science and logic tells us. We have to give a name to that elusive thing that explains why this is not true. "

Bill, you keep saying that, so I ask again:

what is the logical sequence that says that? What is the if, then, therefore, that yields that result?

Logic describes relationships between things, mathematics does as well, and science too. What in any of those tells us that we shouldn't be here? I mean that the universe shouldn't exist? At this point, It is a given that we are here, however we came to be.

The odds are too great is not a logic argument. Oh, so you think... is not a logic argument.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality