How to Unlock any Lock - Bump Keying

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

How to Unlock any Lock - Bump Keying

Postby KLA2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:30 pm

First saw this back in 2006. Not sure if it is a hoax or not. It is a rather long video, but you will get the gist of it in the first minute.

http://e-techblog.com/2006/08/07/how-to ... mp-keying/

If true, scary, but why was this only disclosed in Holland. :?: :?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:49 pm

With the right set of tools, you can open almost any lock. In particular there's a technique called "raking" that an inmate taught my husband. :shock:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:59 pm

troubleagain wrote:With the right set of tools, you can open almost any lock. In particular there's a technique called "raking" that an inmate taught my husband. :shock:

Well, that may require special tools or a certain amount of skill. (or only work on certain locks?)

It appears that any idiot can purchase the modified keys over the internet, tap them in the lock, and open it. :shock: :shock:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:28 pm

Raking a lock requires no special tools or skill. Many filing cabinet, exterior door, or padlocks can be raked open in about half a minute with a couple of sturdy paper clips. The downside is that if you're particularly clumsy, you can scratch up the face of the lock.

In my state, mere possession of "any picklock, key, bit, or other implement of housebreaking" without lawful excuse is a felony. Moral: If you're planning on breaking into a house, don't use a bump key like that; just use paper clips. Less to explain if you get caught.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32 pm

So you folks are saying all traditional key-type mechanical locks are useless??? :shock:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:04 pm

KLA2 wrote:So you folks are saying all traditional key-type mechanical locks are useless??? :shock:

Have been since they've made them actually. I was under the impression that this was common knowledge. :?

KLA, anything of a protection nature has a use, it's called deturance...since anything of protection is just based on different levels of deturance anyhow. Anything can be broken into, it's just how difficult/risky it is to actually do it VS potential reward.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:29 pm

Yeah, I do get that, DS. A $100 lock in a hollow wood door vs. a 5 lb sledge ... no contest. Still, most theives prefer to be quick, silent and discrete. Bump key seems to fit that bill ... IF it is real. :?
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 pm

It is real. I didn't check your video, but YouTube has many tutorials that show how to file and make your own if you're interested in trying it. I did, and it works. :)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:56 pm

Shit. I was hoping it was a hoax. :(

Waydaminute (as BM65 would say) You made your own?? When? {I dare not ask why.} :o :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:01 am

Remember when you lost that TV remote? :twisted:

No, I saw the video on YouTube, and had to try it myself...I had an old master lock laying around, and a useless key from an old project I did. *click* Open... :D
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:05 am

[html]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwTVBWCijEQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwTVBWCijEQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/html]

That's the one I looked at, give it a try. :)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:32 am

Part of my lifetime has been spent in the coin operated amusements industry. Every piece of equipment we have has at least one lock on it and as many as a half dozen or more. Keys get damaged, lost, broken, so many times I neeeded to get into something. SO I took a locksmithing course.

I have a set of picks in my tool kit. But the rake was the one I used most often. Why use finesse when a simple motion opens most locks?

The locks in the video are all "pin tumbler" types. A lot of the cheap locks we used in coin-op were "disk tumbler" locks. The tumblers are one piece, not divided. So the technique doesn't work on them. However they are easy enough to pick otherwise.

There are more secure lock styles than the pin tumbler, it is just that pin tumblers are so very common. The pin tumbler is split in two, and the technique relies upon that. Smack the key and the top half of the tunbler hops into space allowing the lock to turn. But there are locks like the "sidebar" lock that GM uses on its cars. Not only do the tumblers have to move up, they must all move up different amounts so a side bar can slip into grooves on their sides. Bumping won't open that.

There are rotating tumbler locks, like the Medeco locks on some coin changers. Tumblers not only must move vertically to open, but they also must rotate within their shaft to allow a little bump to clear a little slot. They all rotate different amounts, so bumping won't open them.

And there are higher tech locks, some with magnetic keys and even electronics sensor keys. So there are secure locks, just the common ones we use everywhere are not.

Locks keep honest people honest, they don't stop crooks.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 am

Thanks, DS. Guess it's time to go to Plan "B"; post a note saying "Door not locked. Posionous reptiles inside. Enter at own risk." :GAAH:

Recommendations?
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:01 am

Locks made by ABLOY, Kaba, Medeco, Schlage, Kwikset, and other manufacturers such as BiLock are advertised to be bump proof. Be sure to check each individual locks packaging for detailed information.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:05 am

Thanks, DS and thanks, Enzo {I guess you posted while I was typing. :? }

Anyone else going to be getting their locks changed? :P
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:05 am

Abloy locks are really weird, but they certainly wouldn't bump open. The key is like a rod with wedges cut out of various size. The key rotates and each tumbler is rotated some extent by the wedge shape angles. When all the tumblers are rotated to their various proper angles, the lock will open.

A lot of cheap and commopn locks are bump proof, but really easy to pick. Or just break.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:12 pm

When I was working at Oviedo High School, Schlage was the lock of choice...they are some tough freggin' locks.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:33 pm

KLA2, I have the standard (I think schlage) locks, and an alarm system (monitored) and a dog. Oh, and nosy retired neighbors. I think I'm alright. :wink:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 am

I am the nosy neighbor. And I'm armed.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:50 am

Remember "The Club"? Advertised as a sure fire way to stop car theft. Didn't take long for thiefs to figure out how to get passed one. Haven't seen one advertised in years.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:01 am

A guy I work with uses one in his car 'cause the doors don't lock. Yeah ... like anyone would actually steal the thing ...

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:33 am

I remeber an incident where a woman had just taken "The Club" off her steering wheel. A car jacker yanked her out of the car. She then used "The Club" as a club. :lol:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 pm

So the thing does work ... and that is not a misnomer. :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:12 pm

Yeah - they're heavy enough! You could easily do A LOT of damage with one of those if you hit someone in the head.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:15 am

Geeze, I hoped to do a public service. Now, I am starting to feel like the last guy on earth who did not know about "bump keying". :oops:

Ah, well. If I inform but one person, I have done well. :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Next

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes