Contact Lists

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Contact Lists

Postby Мастер » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:09 pm

So, a while back (a year? a couple of years? not sure), I got all my contacts into Google, and have them shared among all the computers I use, and my phone as well. I did the same thing for calendars and to-do lists, but used something other than Google for that.

Things tend to get rather gunked up - email address included with no names attached, multiple instances of the same person (e.g., Chinese names in both last-first and first-last format), various spelling differences (women's pre- and post-married names), etc. So I spend some time going through the list and cleaning it up, consolidating, etc.

I am not sure whether I should be surprised by the large number of people listed whom I do not recognise. They're there, I must have had some communication with them at some point, and yet I have no idea who they are. If they have a corporate email address, that might help me recognise them, but if they have yahoo or gmail, it's pretty much hopeless.

I think I'll just let them go, rather than sending them all emails saying, "Please remind me who you are."
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Contact Lists

Postby Enzo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Ah, like a social gathering.

"Hello Mr. Smith."

"Hello, Mr. Jones."

"Hello...there."
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby tubeswell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Мастер wrote:... I am not sure whether I should be surprised by the large number of people listed whom I do not recognise. They're there, I must have had some communication with them at some point, and yet I have no idea who they are. If they have a corporate email address, that might help me recognise them, but if they have yahoo or gmail, it's pretty much hopeless.

I think I'll just let them go, rather than sending them all emails saying, "Please remind me who you are."

On the other hand, the good people at NSA PRISM probably have a software algorithm that sorts it all out with a minimum of fuss.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Мастер » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:22 am

Oh, they'll like mine. Lots of Chinese names, and a bunch of eastern European names spelled with Cyrillic characters . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 am

Did any o f them write "Death to America" in an eMail? That should ensure that the NSA can give you extended biographies of all your contacts in no time.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Arneb wrote:Did any o f them write "Death to America" in an eMail? That should ensure that the NSA can give you extended biographies of all your contacts in no time.

Oh, I write stuff like that all the time.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:44 pm

You'll be fine. Just email them about the contacts then.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:38 am

At some point I inherited the Memsahib's phone, complete with contact list. There are dozens of people on it and I have no idea who many of them are. There are a couple of Germans, I assume from the Mem's days working for a bank in Europe but apart from them, nothing. I don't add contacts, the few people I phone I just type the number in.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am

Heid the Ba' wrote:I don't add contacts, the few people I phone I just type the number in.

I don't think I know anyone's number anymore :)

I do know the number to book taxis.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Computers and Gadgets