On this day in history...

All the game threads. (It's only teenage wasteland.)

Re: On this day in history...

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm

I'll leave that one for Lianachan, since my lot were as likely to be on the government side as the Jacobite side.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 pm

It may be of little significance , but 1001 years ago today, the city of Burtscheid, which is today a burrough of Aachen, was first mentioned in a written document. My old Aachen hospital was in that burrough, and I am fond of the memory.

Oh, and happy 150th, Gregoriy Jefimovich Rasputin.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I missed this yesterday, but 14 years ago on January 20th I smoked my last cigarette.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Lance wrote:I missed this yesterday, but 14 years ago on January 20th I smoked my last cigarette.

Wow. Was that because the prospect of a second Bush term distressed you so much, or inspired you so much?

I think my last cigarette was quite a bit more recent than that, but my lifetime total is pretty low.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Nothing to do with Bush. I was inspired by watching Cyndi's brother in law slowly decline and eventually die from emphysema. It didn't seem pleasant.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Wise decision, and well done.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Very possibly the single best decision of you life. Relationship decisions not included, of coursed.

22 January -

1901, R.I.P. Queen Victoria
1963 Traty of the Elysée signed by Konrad Adenauer and Charles de Gaulle - the beginning of the Franco-German friendship. After all we've heard about the wars the two of us, this treaty is nothing short of a miracle. Emanuel Macron and Angela Merkel are trying to up it today, with the Treaty of Aachen, which is received in the typical style of today's crazy times.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:18 pm

27 January, 1945 - The Red Army marches into Auschwitz concentration camp. The Soviet soldiers had all seen terrible things, and maybe some of them had done terrible things. But what they saw, by all acoounts, blew away what they thought humans could do to each other.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:40 pm

28 January, 1997 - A totally insignificant German medical dude is given a magna cum laude for his totally insignificant doctoral thesis. On that same day and a few km away, a totally insignificant baby is born in an uncomplicated delivery, his niece. She will be his godchild and can still make him squishy inside 22 years and three own kids later.

Which is all absolfuckinglutely totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so

1887 - Construction of the Eiffel Towe starts (finished 31 March, 1889)
1897- First successful run of a Diesel engine:
1958 - Patent for the Lego brick filed
1986 - The Challenger disaster-
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:10 am

Here are a few that I find interesting for purely subjective and personal reasons:

1881 - Theodor Billroth performs the first partial gastric resection in a patient with gastric cancer.

1964 - One of my favourite films, Dr. Strangelove, premiers in the U.S.

1989 - The first election that I took part in, for the West Berlin Chamber of Deputies - the last one before re-unification. The outcome was quite a surprise. The smaller party in the governing centre-right coalition failed to gain 5 % of the vote and thus was not represented in the Abgeordnetenhaus. That gave the Social Democrat candidate, Walter Momper, the opportunity to form a coalition with the "Alternative Liste", which at the time was a pretty radical leftist incarnation of the Green Party. I dare say I was instrumental in that regime change. If you wonder why two years earlier, at 18 years, I did not take part in the Bundestag election of 1987, I must remind you that we West Berliners weren't allowed to, since we were still governed by three Allied City Commanders, and we were not full citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Momper's government had a high profile due to the dramatic events of 1989, which absolutely no-one foresaw in January of that year. However, in the subsequent election in unified Berlin, in 1991, order was restored, and the former Governing Mayor of Berlin, Eberhard Diepgen, and his CDU party, were restored to their rightful place in power.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:31 am

Arneb wrote:28 January, 1997 - A totally insignificant German medical dude is given a magna cum laude for his totally insignificant doctoral thesis. On that same day and a few km away, a totally insignificant baby is born in an uncomplicated delivery, his niece. She will be his godchild and can still make him squishy inside 22 years and three own kids later.

You save lives Doc, nothing insignificant about that.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 am

Arneb wrote: If you wonder why two years earlier, at 18 years, I did not take part in the Bundestag election of 1987, I must remind you that we West Berliners weren't allowed to, since we were still governed by three Allied City Commanders, and we were not full citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany.

I didn't know that.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 am

Oh yes, until 1990, both our Personal Identity Card and the passport bore the adjective "behelfsmäßig", which can be translated as "auxiliary", but also as "makeshift". The Berlin Chamber of Deputies elected the West Berlin contingent of Bundestag MPs, who had the right to speak, but, crucially, not to vote.

On the plus side, West Berliners couldn't be conscripted into the Bundeswehr either, so West Berlin was draft dodgers' paradise - you only had to change your residential adress to one in West Berlin, and it was no mudcreeping for you 'nmore.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am

Heid the Ba wrote:
Arneb wrote:28 January, 1997 - A totally insignificant German medical dude is given a magna cum laude for his totally insignificant doctoral thesis. On that same day and a few km away, a totally insignificant baby is born in an uncomplicated delivery, his niece. She will be his godchild and can still make him squishy inside 22 years and three own kids later.

You save lives Doc, nothing insignificant about that.

That's very gracious, but honestly, they could still manage with one less over here.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Arneb wrote:That's very gracious, but honestly, they could still manage with one less over here.

The world could have also gotten by with one less Mother Theresa or Ghandi too, but we are better for them having been here.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm

Arneb wrote:Oh yes, until 1990, both our Personal Identity Card and the passport bore the adjective "behelfsmäßig", which can be translated as "auxiliary", but also as "makeshift". The Berlin Chamber of Deputies elected the West Berlin contingent of Bundestag MPs, who had the right to speak, but, crucially, not to vote.

On the plus side, West Berliners couldn't be conscripted into the Bundeswehr either, so West Berlin was draft dodgers' paradise - you only had to change your residential adress to one in West Berlin, and it was no mudcreeping for you 'nmore.

So while Our Brave Lads of the Berlin Brigade were braced to take on the might of the Red Army you lot were sitting with your feet up, having a beer and chasing girls? Maybe it is time for Brexit!
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Yes, that's precisely how it went. Be honest, what would you rather have when they threw a Tsar Bomba on you, a joint and a girl or a uniform, a rifle and a bayonet?
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 pm

6 Feb 1919 In the National Theatre at Weimar, a National Assembly elected in Germany's first free, fair, equal and secret election comes together for the first time in order to write a Republican constitution.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Another one: 70 years later, Chris Gueffry is the last man killed in an escape attempt at the Berlin Wall. He was hit by several rounds after abamdoning the attempt and trying to give himself up.

He'd turn 50 this year.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:11 pm

On this day in 2018, Arneb posted about the death of the singer Falco some 20 years prior.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm

It is absolutely appalling that I missed this one, but I absolutely must ask the biard’s indulgence to let me wind the clock back a few days.

On February 3rd, 1959, the Day the Music Died, Buddy Holly, Ricky Valenzuela, the Big Bopper, and a pilot flying beyond his abilities, took a dive into a snow-covered field in Iowa, leaving the world a much sadder place.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:24 pm

30 years ago, Ayatollah Ruholla Chomeini issues a fatwa calling (and setting a prize) for the death of Salmam Rushdie, for his book The Satanic Verses.

Rushdie has survived the threat to this day, while Chomeini ihas been an ex-Ayatollah for quite some time now.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Richard A » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 pm

A little late. But on 19 February, 1923, the US Supreme Court ruled that Hindus (i.e South Asians) were not eligible for citizenship, even though many had served in the US Army in World War I. The plaintiffs had made the mistake that claiming that they were Aryans (which they undoubtedly were, on a much firmer definition than others would claim a decade later) would get them accepted, but no. It would be 23 years later when the US Congress ruled that non-whites who had served in the US Army (but only those who had) could qualify for citizenship.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am

Service means citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 pm

I suppose Richard already knows all about it, lawyer that he is. But me, yes, yes I would like to no more.

A propos the European-ISIS-POWs and how we should or should not let them back into the country, some of our more right-wing politicians are reminding us of a provision in the Grundgesetz which stipulates that serving in another state's military without the express permision to do so from the Federal Government is one of the very few circumstances under which a German citizen can be stripped of his or her citizenship. So yes, it makes sense that service means citizenship. Apparently it is one of the reasons that the Legion d'Étrangers never runs out of applicants: You become a Frenchman after five years of service.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

PreviousNext

Return to Baba O'Riley