Taiwan (ROC)

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Taiwan (ROC)

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:07 am

So US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi is in Taiwan right now, something that has our friends over at Zhongnanhai - well, not happy.

She gave a speech, referring to Taiwan as one of the freest societies in the world. Here are some freedom indices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_freedom_indices

Indeed, by two of the four indices, Taiwan ranks better than the US.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Taiwan (ROC)

Postby Arneb » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:18 am

Interesting table. I wonder what it is that has my own country downgraded to a "satisfactory", as opposed to a "good" situation re. Freedom of the Press.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 am

Arneb wrote:Interesting table. I wonder what it is that has my own country downgraded to a "satisfactory", as opposed to a "good" situation re. Freedom of the Press.

There is a link at the top of the table to a reference, which contains a link to the original source, which presumably would explain the criteria used, and possibly even have a country-by-country text assessment of what problems there may be. But for several hours now, I've been getting "Web server is down".
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm

Arneb, I see that Austria similarly ranks "satisfactory" for press freedom. Which makes me suggest that what pulls the score down is that in Germany, you can go to jail for publishing a statement that denies that the Holocaust happened (or, as a variant, says it was invented as Soviet propaganda). I do have one problem - but only one - with the German provision: I don't think the sentence is long enough. Germany provides for up to 5 years in jail; Austria provides for up to 20, which, given how dangerous, not merely offensive, Holocaust denial is, I think is a bit more like it.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Arneb » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm

If it's that, I am indeed fine with it. Let's see what they tell us when their site goes up again.

America a "flawed democracy". A fair description in my book.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm

Richard A wrote:Arneb, I see that Austria similarly ranks "satisfactory" for press freedom. Which makes me suggest that what pulls the score down is that in Germany, you can go to jail for publishing a statement that denies that the Holocaust happened (or, as a variant, says it was invented as Soviet propaganda).

This is the thought that occurred to me.

I will try again later to see whether that is the actual reason.

Whether this particular restriction on press freedom is a good idea or not is a whole other issue - even if you feel it is a good idea, it remains a restriction on press freedom, does it not?

The US ought to score well based on that issue. If you want to walk down the street wearing a Nazi uniform and expounding to any passers by your belief that Jews are inferior and should be exterminated, this is protected speech in the US. I think any points off the US has taken are probably related to the use of the Espionage Act and other “national security” measures.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Current Events and Politics