On the subject of Levee failures

Discussions of things currently in the news.

On the subject of Levee failures

Postby Puma » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:09 pm

This is an area I have had extensive experience and training on. There are many who are making the claim that the levees in New Orleans were deliberately blownup during the storm. The levees were overtopped by the storm surge and were probably in an already weakened state due to the following reasons:

1. Failure to keep levees free of trees and brush growth.
2. Failure to control burrowing animal life.
3. Failure to patrol and inspect levee's on a regular basis.

Lousiana has long had a problem with "Nutria". This is an animal that was imported from SE Asia many years ago. They tend to make burrows in levees with a water entrance and an escape entrance on the other side. Other animals such as large rats, badgers, gators etc. also burrow into these levees. Once the water starts flowing through these burrows it is next to impossible to stop it. The same problem applies to trees; the water in the levee will seek the easiest route through the embankment and this can be accomplished by following tree roots. This same problem also affects earthen dams. Areas of the country that have irrigation canals where the canal is built on the surface also fail due to the same reasons.
It's almost here...........
Puma
Government Shill
Government Shill

Re: On the subject of Levee failures

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Puma wrote:There are many who are making the claim that the levees in New Orleans were deliberately blownup during the storm.

Holy crap... I'll never understand this obsession with believing that "they" are responsible for every bad thing that has happened, is happening, or will happen in this world, especially natural disasters. It's like they think that this planet would be some serene utopia where bad weather and geological events never happen as long as "they" weren't in power.
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Mr. Manly » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:08 pm

I've decided to stay away from GLP for a while because of all this. Almost the whole front page is pinned with post about Katrina and New Orleans and how the govt. is to blame for everything including the storm itself. Sometimes the paranoid political agendas over there are funny, right now it's just ridiculous. I'll wait a while for it to blow over then head back.
Got my jackboots polished and woo-woo bashin' on my mind.
Mr. Manly
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:47 pm

Really...

Where is a good chemtrail when you need one?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Bob B. » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:10 pm

I haven't been to GLP since this whole Katrina thing happen, and I don't intend to for a while. The woo-woos over there will just infuriate me with their nonsense and I don't need the stress.
Webmaster, Rocket & Space Technology

Skeptics are the consumer advocates in the marketplace of ideas -JayUtah
Bob B.
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby twinstead » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:49 pm

Mr. Manly wrote:I've decided to stay away from GLP for a while because of all this. Almost the whole front page is pinned with post about Katrina and New Orleans and how the govt. is to blame for everything including the storm itself. Sometimes the paranoid political agendas over there are funny, right now it's just ridiculous. I'll wait a while for it to blow over then head back.

My thoughts exactly, Manly. Normally I find GLP humorous, but until the spittle spewing over Katrina--and the massive black ops operation they are just sure is responsible--dies down, I will wait a bit myself.

GLP is sometimes funny, but sometimes just sad and pathetic; this is one of those times.
AKA DogFishHead on GLP

The great thing about being a cynic is that in the end, you are either right or pleasantly surprised
twinstead
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby neocracker » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:02 am

twinstead wrote:
Mr. Manly wrote:I've decided to stay away from GLP for a while because of all this. Almost the whole front page is pinned with post about Katrina and New Orleans and how the govt. is to blame for everything including the storm itself. Sometimes the paranoid political agendas over there are funny, right now it's just ridiculous. I'll wait a while for it to blow over then head back.

My thoughts exactly, Manly. Normally I find GLP humorous, but until the spittle spewing over Katrina--and the massive black ops operation they are just sure is responsible--dies down, I will wait a bit myself.

GLP is sometimes funny, but sometimes just sad and pathetic; this is one of those times.

If it wasn't for the internet, where would all the GLP-like people be? Screaming about conspiracies on street corners or just selling self-published books to the gullible.

From what I've read on GLP, the gene-pool needs this . . .

Shock
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Animal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:07 am

neocracker wrote:
From what I've read on GLP, the gene-pool needs this . . .

Shock

I can't believe that you have the shear, unmitigated gall to suggest that certain people should be 'cleansed' and/or eradicated. This is the most evil thing I've ever seen. You and the site owner should be ashamed.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:12 am

Animal wrote:This is the most evil thing I've ever seen.

You don't get out much, do you?
And just sterilisation would suffice.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Animal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:23 am

Halcyon Dayz wrote:

I'm shocked beyond words that you can make light of this.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby neocracker » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:03 am

Animal wrote:
Halcyon Dayz wrote:

I'm shocked beyond words that you can make light of this.

You don't get sarcasm, do you?

I'm sorry that you find what is posted on this forum to be shocking at times.
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Animal » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:34 am

I generally discount what you so-called debunkers say since its generally just name calling, but this whole-scale call for the extermination of people is a bit much.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Mr. Manly » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:04 pm

We don't call it extermination. We prefer Spirtual Liberation.
Got my jackboots polished and woo-woo bashin' on my mind.
Mr. Manly
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:32 pm

Really, all GLP needs is a little extra strength soap. And shovels. And waders. Masks, too. Goggles, overalls,....anything else?

Anyway, Puma is probably right. In fact (and here I must eat some crow), with adequate funding to personnel and maintenance, the failures may have been prevented.

Puma, how hard is it to determine root cause (mechanically speaking) in levee failure?

[edit: I seem to have left my spelling on Monday, if anyone finds it, please return it to me as soon as possible. MM_Dandy, c/o Illuminati-R-Us covert operations, etc.]
Last edited by MM_Dandy on Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lance » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:35 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:....anything else?

Cyanide pills?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby ToSeek » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:13 pm

neocracker wrote:From what I've read on GLP, the gene-pool needs this . . .

Shock

I think JPL was actually using bags of that stuff to simulate the sand one of the Mars rovers was stuck in.
Everything I need to know I learned by Googling.
ToSeek
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby woowoo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:17 pm

You know, it's almost enough to give some poor little woowoo the impression that some of you may not be nice people...

Soon I won't have a lot of time to be here. So in case I didn't get to see you all until next year. I just wanted to wish everyone a merry christmas !. :glp-hello:
Agreeing with a woowoo, is how woowoos breed !!!.

How many woodchucks would wood chuck if wood could chuck woodchucks ?.
woowoo
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Puma » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:01 am

When the storm was about 240 miles out a NOAA buoy registered waves as high as 68 ft before the buoy was destroyed. Reports on the levee that failed indicate the failed section had recently been reworked and had not been tamped or armored with a concrete facing before the storm hit. There was also a barge on the landside of the levee that may be the real culprit in the bank failure and also the source of the reported explosion sounds. The report also stated that the levee had not been seeded and wa s therefore bare ground when the storm hit. That section of the levee that failed was basically unfinished when the storm hit.
Puma
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Puma » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:52 am

If news reports can be trusted it now appears, IMHO, that the failed levee was dynamited. The explosives were probably placed during the reworking of the affected section (witness's reported hearing "muffled explosions" after the storm had passed). The explosives had been placed a good while back. This may have been an inside job ordered by the political appararatus in New Orleans or some other entity with designs on the affected area(s). The Fed should take a hard look at whoever had the levee contract for that section (most likely it was the city).
Puma
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Bill EE » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:06 am

Yep Puma - that's it. Someone was so good that they knew to plant the explosives just waiting for the right storm. Then, being as smart as they were, failed to set the explosives off until a day later. It is so lucky that these smart people always leave a clues. Any contractor was under the supervision of the US Army Corp of Engineers (USACE) so telling it to the FED will not help.

You are so right - the muffled sound can not possibly be the sound of the structure giving way. Have you ever been in a material testing lab? When rock or steel fails it creates a loud explosive type sound. Add to the mix an incomplete upgrade and possibly a barge crash - you have the recipe for a diaster. I have been talking to some friend and business associates in NOLA and not one of them believes the levies failure was anything other than a simple failure.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Return to Current Events and Politics