Not a nuke plant, thank goodness

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Not a nuke plant, thank goodness

Postby KLA2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/29/florid ... index.html

(CNN) -- Preliminary results of an investigation show that Tuesday's massive power outage in Florida was caused by human error, Florida Power and Light President Armando Olivera said Friday.

A field engineer was diagnosing a switch that had malfunctioned at FPL's Flagami substation in west Miami.

Without authorization, the engineer disabled two levels of relay protection, Olivera said.

"This was done contrary to FPL's standard procedures and established practices," he said.

Standard procedures do not allow the simultaneous removal of both levels of protection.

"We don't know why the employee took it upon himself to disable both sets of relays," he added ...

... The error affected 584,000 FPL customers, Olivera said. Another 500,000 non-FPL customers also lost power.

That translates to about 3 million people
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Not a nuke plant, thank goodness

Postby pmcolt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:30 am

Maybe I should send my resume to Florida Power and Light. I suspect they're going to have an opening for a field engineer in the near future, and the last guy set the bar pretty low.

Not to be too hard on the guy. No one notices engineers until they make a mistake. Still... engineers just can't let themselves make mistakes like this. On the plus side, the nuclear reactors' safety systems did exactly what they were supposed to do and shut down safely.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Not a nuke plant, thank goodness

Postby KLA2 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:34 am

pmcolt wrote:Maybe I should send my resume to Florida Power and Light. I suspect they're going to have an opening for a field engineer in the near future, and the last guy set the bar pretty low.

Not to be too hard on the guy. No one notices engineers until they make a mistake. Still... engineers just can't let themselves make mistakes like this. On the plus side, the nuclear reactors' safety systems did exactly what they were supposed to do and shut down safely.

Yes.

My point was ... the safety systems (designed by brilliant engineers) can be circumvented by (brilliant?) engineers, resulting in catastrophe.

Familiarity breeds contempt? Arrogance? Desperation?

When the stakes are only your own life, that is one thing. When the stakes are the livelihood and lives of others, that is quite another.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics