Bhutto Assassinated

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Bhutto Assassinated

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:42 pm

Wow, they finally got her. So sad. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22406555/

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan - Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto was assassinated Thursday in a suicide bombing that also killed at least 20 others at a campaign rally.

The death of the charismatic former prime minister threw the campaign for the Jan. 8 election into chaos and created fears of mass protests and an eruption of violence across the volatile south Asian nation, which has nuclear weapons and a support base for Muslim extremists.

Pakistani troops were put on "red alert" across the country as President Pervez Musharraf condemned the attack and urged citizens to avoid further bloodshed.

In the United States, President Bush demanded that those responsible be brought to justice, calling them “murderous extremists who are trying to undermine Pakistan’s democracy.”

Bhutto's supporters erupted in anger and grief after her death, attacking police and burning tires and election campaign posters in several cities. At the hospital where she died, some smashed glass and wailed, chanting slogans against Musharraf.

"At 6:16 p.m. she expired," said Wasif Ali Khan, a member of Bhutto's party who was at Rawalpindi General Hospital where she was taken after the attack.

“She has been martyred,” added party official Rehman Malik. Bhutto was 54.

A party security adviser said Bhutto was shot in the neck and chest as she got into her vehicle, then the gunman blew himself up. No group has claimed responsibility.

An Associated Press reporter at the scene of the bombing could see body parts and flesh scattered at the back gate of the park where Bhutto had spoken. He counted about 20 bodies, including police, and could see many other wounded people.

The road outside was stained with blood. People screamed for ambulances. Others gave water to the wounded lying in the street.

The clothing of some of the victims was shredded and people put party flags over their bodies.

Security had been tight, with hundreds of riot police manning security checkpoints with metal detectors around what was Bhutto's first campaign rally since returning from exile two months ago.

Bhutto had planned an earlier rally in the city, but Musharraf forced her to cancel it, citing security fears. In October, suicide bombers struck a parade celebrating Bhutto’s return, killing more than 140 people in the southern city of Karachi.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:46 pm

We'll see if they get two million or so along with her...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:14 pm

Yoda: "No... There is an other."

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:We'll see if they get two million or so along with her...

The last time around the PPP got 25% of the vote, this time around it might be more. That's a lot more then 2 million.
Assassinating the leader of a deeply rooted popular movement tends to be counter-productive.

The South Asian tradition of wealthy political families producing charismatic leaders strikes me as a bit feudalistic though.

I guess this makes Nusrat Bhutto the Pakistani version of Rose Kennedy.
Husband hung by the neck, oldest son dying 'under mysterious circumstances', other son shot by the cops, oldest daughter assassinated.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Мастер » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:20 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:The last time around the PPP got 25% of the vote, this time around it might be more. That's a lot more then 2 million.
Assassinating the leader of a deeply rooted popular movement tends to be counter-productive.

I meant, we'll see if this sparks violence that results in a few million joining her :(

Halcyon Dayz wrote:The South Asian tradition of wealthy political families producing charismatic leaders strikes me as a bit feudalistic though.

Never been to Pakistan, but "feudalistic" is certainly my impression.

Halcyon Dayz wrote:I guess this makes Nusrat Bhutto the Pakistani version of Rose Kennedy.
Husband hung by the neck, oldest son dying 'under mysterious circumstances', other son shot by the cops, oldest daughter assassinated.

:shock:

It wouldn't surprise me if things were to get even worse for the president now...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:35 pm

Well, based on the news video, half the country is on fire.

Very Very Sad. :-({|=
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:26 pm

God, I'm so depressed. This is really so sad. :cry:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:56 pm

troubleagain wrote:God, I'm so depressed. This is really so sad. :cry:

Yes. I refuse to rant. I see her death is already being used as a political tiddlywink. :evil:

What was she thinking, poking her head out of the roof of her car??? Just like JFK. Foolishly brave and optimistic. {I do not compare them in other respects.} :(
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics