RIP - Richard Jewell

Discussions of things currently in the news.

RIP - Richard Jewell

Postby Enzo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:10 am

Faux bomber of the 1996 Olympics.

Dead at 44 after a long battle with kidney failures. I guess they pissed him off one time too many.

Boy that line would have set Lonewulf off for another week were he still around.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Judging from the replies here, people really care, huh? :P
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Superluminal » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 am

Did they ever catch the real bomber?
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:48 am

Superluminal wrote:Did they ever catch the real bomber?

I don't know. Wouldn't it be interesting if, while going through his effects, they found evidence that it really was him after all?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby pmcolt » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:07 am

The real culprit (or FBI scapegoat, depending on how paranoid you are) in the Olympic Park bombing was Eric Rudolph, of "bombing abortion clinics, then managing to evade an intensive federal manhunt for five years by hiding in western North Carolina" fame.

Unfortunate, what happened to Richard Jewell. Working as hired security, discovers a suspicious package, helps evacuate the area so that instead of a death toll of hundreds, only two die as a result of the bombing. And rather than being hailed as a hero, the media portrays him as the bomber for years afterward.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:22 am

Well, unfortunatley, security personel have been known to do stupid things like that. We had a series of bomb threats at a base where I was stationed. All directed at places where there were lots of people. On every threat, the same young airman was on patrol in the area and was the first on scene to help with the evacuation. Didn't take long for an investigation to figure out he was the one calling in the threats. One of the threats was against the female dorm. He was the hero running through the dorm getting all the women folk to safety.

On a private security job, we had a guard patroling a factory, he set a fire, reported it, and had just got it put out when the factory fire brigade arrived.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:25 am

In a town I lived in some years ago, the firemen became suspicious that one of their number was always the first to respond to an alarm, even though he lived quite far from the fire station :shock:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:34 am

Makes me think of a large article in the paper a couple days ago: whistleblowers in the federal govt and the military wind up losing their jobs, rank, etc.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:00 am

pmcolt wrote:Unfortunate, what happened to Richard Jewell. Working as hired security, discovers a suspicious package, helps evacuate the area so that instead of a death toll of hundreds, only two die as a result of the bombing. And rather than being hailed as a hero, the media portrays him as the bomber for years afterward.

Yes. A tragic injustice. In the wrong place at the wrong time. "No good deed goes unpunished." :(

As I recall, the President vowed swift retribution.

A fine objective, badly executed. (I am not pointing a finger at American justice ... same happens up here.)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:48 am

Please feel free to point a finger at AMerican "justice." The Duke Lacrosse team will applaud you. MAybe even Lanelle Jeter.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Yep, there is plenty wrong with my country's justice system - by all means point away.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Yeah. But at least we can point a finger, and not disappear in the night, like other places, other times.

{never posts again} :lol: :lol:

You know, I feel ashamed joking about that. :cry:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics