Divine Retribution

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Divine Retribution

Postby KLA2 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:06 am

Here’s a list of natural and man-made calamities that have been attributed to divine retribution for human transgression ...

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/1 ... on/?hpt=T2

I can add a couple to that list:

AIDS is God's vengeance on homosexuals.

Polio is God's vengeance on little children.

{In deference to the good hearted religious folks reading, this is bitter sarcasm. Those I attack are the opportunistic exploitive scumbags that take natural disasters and use them as proof that their twisted hate filled agendas are proof that God is on their side.}
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm with you on this, KLA2. If what they say is true, then God must hate Japan - earthquakes have been happening there for eons!

I can't let Falwell's quote about the September 11th attacks go by without note -
But Falwell reiterated that forces trying to secularize the U.S. “created an environment which possibly has caused God to lift the veil of protection which has allowed no one to attack America on our soil since 1812."

Since 1812, I can think of several instances where US forces have engaged a so-called enemy in combat on or over US soil: the Indian Wars, US Civil War, Philippine-American War, and World War II come to mind. Not to mention the many riots and skirmishes involving representatives of the US and gunfire (whether or not the opposing forces were similarly armed). Heck, that wasn't even the first time that the WTC had been attacked. No, if there's a veil, it lies between Falwell and reality.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Arneb » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm

I agree with your point, MM_Dandy - then again, does someone like Falwell really merit debunking?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby KLA2 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 am

And will no one remember the Alamo? :shock: (Or was that Mexican territory at the time?)

Thanks, MM_Dandy. Glad you agree. Lately, when I post anything negative about religion, I worry that it hurts you. I hate to do that, because you are a person to be admired and respected. :)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 am

Let's not forget, "God told me to skin you alive!"

Or maybe that's just the voice in my head ...
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:06 am

The Maine was before my time, but I do remember the Pueblo, by God.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:25 am

Enzo wrote:The Maine was before my time, but I do remember the Pueblo, by God.

You can visit it; it's a museum.

Here's the satellite view:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... ER-2%29___
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:47 pm

KLA2 wrote:And will no one remember the Alamo? :shock: (Or was that Mexican territory at the time?)

I can't recall if any of the Mexican-American battles occurred on US territory. After seceding from Mexico, Texas was its own country for a little while before the US officially annexed it.

KLA2 wrote:Thanks, MM_Dandy. Glad you agree. Lately, when I post anything negative about religion, I worry that it hurts you. I hate to do that, because you are a person to be admired and respected. :)

Thanks for the kind words. You have every right to voice your opinion here - if my responses to your criticisms indicate that I've taken them too personally, that's my problem. And I appreciate the kind words; if you do feel that way, please don't feel like you have to coddle me.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm

KLA2 wrote:And will no one remember the Alamo? :shock: (Or was that Mexican territory at the time?)

Disputed, but it was either Mexican territory or independent Texan territory at the time, depending on which side you take. Nobody (at least nobody serious) considered it US territory at that time.

MM_Dandy wrote:I can't recall if any of the Mexican-American battles occurred on US territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornton_Affair

Also on disputed territory; it was in the US if you accept the US government's position at the time. It is certainly in the US now.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Mactep wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornton_Affair

Also on disputed territory; it was in the US if you accept the US government's position at the time. It is certainly in the US now.

In my browser, at least, Wikipedia's battle sidebar lists the location as:
20 miles northwest of the future

So, I see what you mean by disputed. :P

Just to clarify, I conflated the Texas Revolution (which included the Battle at the Alamo - but did not officially involve the US), and the Mexican-American War.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Return to Religion and Spirituality