Another death by superstition

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Another death by superstition

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Nelson said a catheter would have saved the boy's life. If the condition had been dealt with earlier, a urologist could easily have removed the blockage and avoided the kidney damage that came with the repeated illnesses, Nelson said.

Benton said a board member of the Followers of Christ church contacted the authorities after Beagley died at his family's home. The teen had been sick about a week, and church members and his family had gathered to pray Sunday when his condition worsened, Benton said.

In March, the boy's 15-month-old cousin Ava Worthington died at home from bronchial pneumonia and a blood infection.

Her parents, Carl and Raylene Worthington, also belong to the church. They have pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and criminal mistreatment, and their defense attorneys have indicated they will use a religious freedom defense.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/19/fai ... index.html

In this age of science and knowledge, it seems incredible that people still turn to superstition and fallacies. Not only for themselves, but for those who depend on and trust them.

I realize that modern medicine also kills through mistakes. That too is tragic, but avoidable and scientific based medicine constantly works to get better.

"Faith healing," on the other hand, will kill every time if the disease is fatal (but treatable), and certainly does not (can not) get better.

I do advocate the right of informed adults to suicide, choice of treatment or to choose no treatment. This would include "faith healing." (Of course, choosing "faith healing" would suggest to me that they are NOT informed, just brainwashed.)

Sad.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Another death by superstition

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:54 am

KLA2 wrote:Sad.

You'll get no argument from me.

Morons.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65