What does the phrase "Rest in peace" mean? (Split)

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 am

Dragon Star wrote:I just don't want to to be my fault when I regret asking the question in the first place, if you feel the need to make your own thread then so be it, but I highly suggest you don't. Lonewulf I respect your opinion and share some of your views, but there is no reason to make comments against someone's belief, despite your own.

No one has to join the discussion that does not want to. I am not pointing a gun at anyone's head and forcing them into the thread. Further, I promise to be respectful of those that are respectful of my beliefs. Plus, it wouldn't be your fault at all, it would be the fault of people that allowed themselves to be drawn into such a question (and yes, that means that it would very well be partly my fault).

There is plenty of reasons to make comments against someone's belief, however, if the comments are respectful, warranted, on-topic, allowed (by the forum moderator), and said at the proper time and place.

Within his thread was a bad place to post such a comment. It was a thread that was mourning the death of a friend. For that, I would not deviate from the original topic, as that is disrespectful, and the issue of religion is really not as important as that of his emotional vestment in his friend, and the times they shared. I feel that he should both mourn his friend's death, and yet celebrate his friend's life. That's my personal belief, anyways.

Within this thread, however, it was specifically on the meaning of RIP on the gravestone, which leads directly to talking about graves and the afterlife. Thus, it's more on-topic to discuss such a matter, and is not directly on the fate of St. Jimmy's friend. However, you requested people not post into it, so I will take my question and issue to another thread, where it can be discussed by people willing to partake in such discussion, to treat each other as they are treated, and to respect beliefs insofar as their beliefs are respected.

I really don't see the problem with that if it is handled by mature adults that are willing to see this, instead of people that are willing to take it personally and as an attack. I really do respect St. Jimmy's feelings for his friend, and I forgive some of his comments made in the passion of his anger and do not take them personally, nor take them as a fault to his character.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:27 am

DS, I appreciate that you want to be sensitive to others, there are too many instances when that attitude is lacking in these threads. But you can't make topics taboo. if this thread moves on, it is not your fault. An open forum is interesting BECAUSE it is not strictly defined in content. Besides, after a while a can't talk about this, can't talk about that list gets very unwieldy. If we start a parallel thread on the topic, how is that any different? In the grand scheme of things, no one cares who started a thread that went on to other things than the OP. Whatever happens, it won't fall on you.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:49 pm

I strongly support the idea of starting a new thread to discuss religious topics. Name it appropriately, and those who wish to participate may. That leaves this thread intact and with no one getting hurt feelings.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:10 pm

Well, when a thread is named appropriately then the whats in side is something that is called for, but if someone sees a thread named "happy bunnies" and someone inside says something that is mean or hurtful to you personally, your sure as hell going to yell something back, and then you have war. The fact that it would result in that doesn't bother me much, it is the fact that I am quite tired of flame wars starting in threads about things that aren't meant to be mean in any way. I just asked a question that could be answered in 2 posts and that is all I wanted out of it, not a big discussion about it, or a debate, just a response from a religious standpoint. I have it, it's done and over with.

That is why I am being a bit defensive about this, I didn't mean what I said and I apologized rightfully and it was over.

So let that be that and continue this in the other thread that Lonewulf made. I wasn't trying to be taboo but I was out of line with my question from my standpoint.

:D
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 pm

It's all good, dragon...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Indeed it is, sorry if I sound edgy, I am just tired from all of this testing we have to do for school...4 hour long tests every day for 2 weeks sucks big time. :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality