Digging For The Truth

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Did Jesus get married and have children?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes : 11

Digging For The Truth

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:14 am

The History Channel is focusing on "The Davinci Code" tonight. They're trying to extract DNA from an alleged descendant of The Christ. Looks like a boomin' show chock full of conspiracy theories and al that good stuff. One of my personal favorite enigmas!
Who thinks Jesus got married to Mary Magdalene, besides me?

They have valid concise information and one of their strongest points is Jesus lived in a time when male jews were literally required to marry and have offspring. They say it was like blasphemy not to take a wife.

How could he encompass the whole human experience if he didn't?
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:32 am

I'm saying yes, and I'd guess that his wife died in childbirth just before he went off a-ministering.
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:37 am

Well the premise is he married Mary Magdalene who was at the ressurection which negates your theory :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vatican suppressed info to retain power. It sure wouldn't be the first time.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 am

Well, it doesn't "negate" it, since it' s just an alternative hypothesis, neither of which have a shred of decent evidence.

However just for you I'm now going to claim that he remarried in the course of his ministry. :twisted: :wink:
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby pmcolt » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:51 am

teri tait wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Vatican suppressed info to retain power. It sure wouldn't be the first time.

Retain power from whom? A dynasty of descendants of Jesus? I don't see that the descendants of Jesus would have any more legitimacy or claim to the Church leadership than, say, the son of a President would have to the Presidency. Not that I think they'd do any worse a job, either.

I wouldn't be surprised if something had gone on, though. Just about everything we know about the life of Jesus comes from long after the fact, filtered through numerous people, each with his own agenda. And some of these guys seem not to have liked women too much.

Too bad we don't have a spare time machine handy that we could dial back about two millennia.

{edit}

Come to think of it, Jesus supposedly only had a human mother, right? So unless God has human DNA, Jesus would lack a y-chromosome from His Father. Any of Jesus' children would have to be female, then, right?

{edit 2}

The fact that I even posted this suggests that it's time for me to get some sleep. Night, all.
Last edited by pmcolt on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:57 am

I believe Christ was just a man. He got married, and most likely procreated. Hey, men are men.

I don't believe he possessed any special powers. I don't believe he was the son of "God".

I do believe he was special in the sense of a great leader. He most likely was charasmatic. I compare him to an evangelist of today.

I believe those who followed his word felt it very sacred. Therefore, his child would be of "royal blood". His followers made the history we have today. I compare this with today's woo woo's.

Any hoot, Christ was special in the sense that he literally changed history by being a great leader. That alone is a great accomplishment!

From class tonight, we talked about The Quiet Leader.

The quiet leader is not a modern invention and Lao Tzu, who, in the classic Taoist text Tao Te Ching, was discussing the same characteristic around 500 BC:

The very highest is barely known by men,

Then comes that which they know and love,

Then that which is feared,

Then that which is despised.

He who does not trust enough will not be trusted.

When actions are performed

Without unnecessary speech,

People say “We did it!”

Here again, the highest level of leadership is virtually invisible.

I'm not being disrespectful of Christ, I'm just being realistic. :)

[edit to bold additional text]
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:07 am

pmcolt wrote:
teri tait wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the Vatican suppressed info to retain power. It sure wouldn't be the first time.

Retain power from whom? A dynasty of descendants of Jesus? I don't see that the descendants of Jesus would have any more legitimacy or claim to the Church leadership than, say, the son of a President would have to the Presidency. Not that I think they'd do any worse a job, either.

I wouldn't be surprised if something had gone on, though. Just about everything we know about the life of Jesus comes from long after the fact, filtered through numerous people, each with his own agenda. And some of these guys seem not to have liked women too much.

Too bad we don't have a spare time machine handy that we could dial back about two millennia.

{edit}

Come to think of it, Jesus supposedly only had a human mother, right? So unless God has human DNA, Jesus would lack a y-chromosome from His Father. Any of Jesus' children would have to be female, then, right?

{edit 2}

The fact that I even posted this suggests that it's time for me to get some sleep. Night, all.

Well, the Vatican houses the Pope, the first Pope was Peter, the Pope is supposed to be the direct implementor of Gods law on Earth. If there were descendents of the Son of God they would naturally usurp the status of the Pope within the Catholic Church.

Mary, mother of Jesus, was not an average woman. She was an immaculate conception, that is born free of original sin. She was not a product of an earthly father and mother. Her mother was barren and at the time Mary was born, well into old age. Jesus's parents on both side were unique. Mary took a vow of celibacy at the age of three. She was raised by the priests at the temple. She allegedly ate from the hands of angels and danced with angels as a child. That is why she is called Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, it refers to her own birth, not the birth of Jesus.
The child allegedly born to Jesus & Magdalene was allegedly a girl named Sarah, they think.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:15 am

teri tait wrote:Mary, mother of Jesus, was not an average woman. She was an immaculate conception, that is born free of original sin. She was not a product of an earthly father and mother. Her mother was barren and at the time Mary was born, well into old age. Jesus's parents on both side were unique. Mary took a vow of celibacy at the age of three. She was raised by the priests at the temple. She allegedly ate from the hands of angels and danced with angels as a child. That is why she is called Our Lady of Immaculate Conception, it refers to her own birth, not the birth of Jesus.
Aye, well, that's the old Catholic "Queen of Heaven" mythology coming though there. Nothing whatsoever to back that lot up. Why the need for two generations of miracles is bewildering.
teri tait wrote:The child allegedly born to Jesus & Magdalene was allegedly a girl named Sarah, they think.
And the Da Vinci stuff is diametrically opposite, stressing the humanity of Jesus. No wonder the Vatican's upset (or pretending to be).
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 am

teri tait wrote:The child allegedly born to Jesus & Magdalene was allegedly a girl named Sarah, they think.

I believe he did have a child named Sarah. Yes, the Catholic Church most likely buried this due to the "politic's" of yesteryear. Again, I reiterate the followers of Christ most likely make Sarah a "Spiritual Person". Again, Woo Woo comes to mind.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:21 am

The stuff about Mary is universal to Christianity, Judism, and Muslim belief. Mary is very revered in Muslim religion.

The Vatican got pissy about Opus Dei, the orthodox order of monks which were painted in a very negative light in the book.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 am

A little known fact was that it was not Jesus who died on the cross. it was his twin brother Milton. jesus changed his name and went on to become a successful developer in the suburbs around Jerusalem - Christ Properties. of course there was a great conspiracy to cover this up. SOmething abuot them never building the tennis courts they promised.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:33 am

teri tait wrote:The stuff about Mary is universal to Christianity, Judism, and Muslim belief. Mary is very revered in Muslim religion.
Judaism? Hmm... you might want to clarify that one for me, since I understand they're still awaiting the Messiah...

The Mary you describe is the Roman Catholic Church's version, not other Christians. I know that the Muslim faith reveres Maryam as the mother of the prophet Jesus (can't remember his Islamic name), but not as far as being herself immaculately conceived.
Last edited by Joffan on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:34 am

Candy wrote:

I believe he did have a child named Sarah. Yes, the Catholic Church most likely buried this due to the "politic's" of yesteryear. Again, I reiterate the followers of Christ most likely make Sarah a "Spiritual Person". Again, Woo Woo comes to mind.

Well, she was supposed to have married into the Merovigian royal family. Talk about woowoo history! These royals were allegedly descended from a sea creature fish guy! I imagine that legend has some grain of truth but its hard to figure where.

The "black madonna" is supposidly Magdalene or her daughter and supposidly Notre Dame was dedicated to Magdalene. all of it is a stretch, but I'm a big reader of the Gnostic writings and other writings not in the traditional Bible. Its really way more interesting and informative, in my opinion. The Bible has been so homogenized through history, who knows how much has been gutted or edited to be PC to the Pope of the day.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:36 am

teri tait wrote:The stuff about Mary is universal to Christianity, Judism, and Muslim belief. Mary is very revered in Muslim religion.

The Vatican got pissy about Opus Dei, the orthodox order of monks which were painted in a very negative light in the book.

I've never read the book, Da Vinci's Code. I did see the show, you reference, some 6 months ago. I'm also adding from personal upbringing and religious theories research for my beliefs. :D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:38 am

Joffan wrote:
Judaism? Hmm... you might want to clarify that one for me, since I understand they're still awaiting the Messiah...

The Mary you describe is the Roman Catholic Church's version, not other Christians. I know that the Muslim faith reveres Maryam as the mother of the prophet Jesus (can't remember his Islamic name), but not as far as being herself immaculate conceived.

Right, I didn't say Muslims did anything but revere her, which they do.
You were right about Cristianity in general, I should have said Catholicism's viewpoint of Mary. I stand corrected :)
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:47 am

Joffan wrote:

Some of us, not all of us.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 am

sorry about messing up the quote markers for you there Teri...

Any-old-how, the Da Vinci code is a fun read and an interesting speculation, if not original to Danny boy. Some of the puzzles were pretty simple though.
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:50 am

Candy wrote:

I've never read the book, Da Vinci's Code. I did see the show, you reference, some 6 months ago. I'm also adding from personal upbringing and religious theories research for my beliefs. :D

This show was advertised as a new episode. You may be thinking of the show about the book itself. This show was focused on DNA proof of descendents of the royal family related to middle eastern DNA. They extrapolated DNA from a specific religious sect that still speaks Aramaic and the known bones of a Merogvinian queen from the 600s.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:50 am

Joffan wrote:sorry about messing up the quote markers for you there Teri...

Any-old-how, the Da Vinci code is a fun read and an interesting speculation, if not original to Danny boy. Some of the puzzles were pretty simple though.

Personally, I refuse to read it.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:52 am

teri tait wrote:
Candy wrote:

This show was advertised as a new episode. You may be thinking of the show about the book itself. This show was focused on DNA proof of descendents of the royal family related to middle eastern DNA. They extrapolated DNA from a specific religious sect that still speaks Aramaic and the known bones of a Merogvinian queen from the 600s.

[strike]And it went on to tell of the 7 "lost" tribes, or am I wrong?[/strike]
I'm thinking of Abraham. :oops:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:54 am

The program also told of the royal link, or am I wrong, too. I'm sorry, I see so much on TV these days. :oops:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:58 am

Joffan wrote:sorry about messing up the quote markers for you there Teri...

It was an ok book, his book other book, I think its called "Angels and Demons" or something like that, that book was so much better than "Da Vinci Code".
I think its all interesting, the historical figures of the bible. I read an autobiography of Pontius Pilate that was amazing. The Coptic religion sainted him. He and Judas Iscariot were viewed a lot differently by the Coptic religion.

I also like the infant gospels of Thomas, which essentially make the child Jesus out to be a major brat. :)
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:04 am

Candy wrote:The program also told of the royal link, or am I wrong, too. I'm sorry, I see so much on TV these days. :oops:

Right, they compared the royal lineage DNA to middle eastern DNA from this aramaic church that was built in the first century and the congregation claim to be descendants of the bloodline of Jesus as well.

The sad part is I missed the end because I was all caught up in writing :( now I have to stay up and watch it again at 2am or whenever it repeats
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Joffan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:05 am

teri tait wrote:I also like the infant gospels of Thomas, which essentially make the child Jesus out to be a major brat. :)

Sounds interesting. I'll have to dig them up. Of course Jesus would've been a major handful; witness his hanging around the temple after the rest of the family had left Jerusalem. Shoot, if he didn't get a thick ear for that, what would it take?
Joffan
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:11 am

teri tait wrote:
Candy wrote:The program also told of the royal link, or am I wrong, too. I'm sorry, I see so much on TV these days. :oops:

Right, they compared the royal lineage DNA to middle eastern DNA from this aramaic church that was built in the first century and the congregation claim to be descendants of the bloodline of Jesus as well.

The sad part is I missed the end because I was all caught up in writing :( now I have to stay up and watch it again at 2am or whenever it repeats

I hate to even write this, the Jesus blood line is supposedly linked to most Royal Families. Princess Diana was a blood link, therefore, Prince Charles bred with her. He is of the same blood line, but not as "potent".

The majority of Royal blood line is evident in history based on the relationship of Rulers. Let's just get it out now, Rulers of European Countries were related by blood. Hence, the BLOOD LINE.

This is not necessarily a good thing. By keeping it in the family produced many retarded children. :shock:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Next

Return to Religion and Spirituality