Old man river...

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

Old man river...

Postby Enzo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:47 pm

A little piece in today's paper said that a satellite GPR has found an ancient large riverbed under the sand in the Sahara. Well seems to me we knew of this decades ago. Interesting, yes, but not news. I looked to see.

http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/p ... 01385.html

http://planetearth.nerc.ac.uk/news/story.aspx?id=200

I found references as far back as the 1980s, but I could swear I was reading about it in the 1960s.

Over here we have the ancient river Teays, that drained the Ohio area pre-glaciation.

I guess I am a sucker for old man river. I may have taken too many geomorphology classes in college. And a couple terms of air photo interpretation. Don't ask me what I thought I would do with that learning. When we drive or ride through the Appalachians, wring has to listen to me lecture on the landforms and how it came to be that a river managed to cut through a mountain range.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Old man river...

Postby Lance » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:27 pm

That bugs me too. You hear "news" confirming something you knew years ago...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Old man river...

Postby Lianachan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I've done some geomorphology too. In the summer, I took a sample from a few metres depth in a peat bank overlying an ancient river bed using a peat corer. These things grab a sample about an inch wide, and amazingly it contained a complete, perfectly preserved pine cone sitting the right way up in it. I don't know what the chances of plucking that so perfectly out of the ground in a randomly selected spot were, but pretty slim I would guess. It did allow us to pretty firmly date the peat at that depth, though.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Return to Science and Technology