The August 7/8 Outage

Things you should know about what's going on. New features and procedures will be announced here.

The August 7/8 Outage

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:45 pm

Let's see, where to begin...

I host I-R-U (and other stuff) on servers here in my house. I host my own mail, DNS, WWW, etc... Been doing it for 6-7 years now... ISDN, then Cable and then to DSL in 2003. To do this, I have a static, public IP subnet assigned to me by my ISP (now The "New" AT&T). They don't ever change and are reachable from anywhere in the world. Follow?

So, a couple of weeks ago I noticed I could upgrade my DSL account, the one I've had for 4 years now, to higher speed for less money. Not only will the llamas like that, I thought, but it would make IRU perkier for you guys, too. COOL! Life is good, so I placed the order via their web site. They say it takes a few days to complete. Fine...

Oddly, other than the initial robo-email that I got when I placed the order, I never got any other confirmation that my order would proceed, or when, or that it in fact ever happened at all. Nothing. Nada. Stone deaf silence. But I guess it finally did change on 7/31. I noticed no speed improvement at all. As a matter of fact, there is supposed to be a tech coming this morning to find out why. But that's another story. I'm still waiting on him...

Now, you know how when you do things to your computer, changes may not take effect until you reboot? Networking can be similar. Changes may not happen until you log out and log back in. That is what happened here.

Unbeknown to me, the service change was accompanied by an IP subnet change. There was absolutely no mention of this when I placed the order. And what's more, there was no mention of this change when the upgrade actually occurred, nor was I ever even TOLD what my new IP addresses would be. THIS IS ABSURD!!! And I told the Tier 2 tech as much. He actually agreed. This "issue" has come up in there meetings before and they don't know why the business office doing it so strangely. Oh well.

So, there was a real DSL service outage here yesterday morning, resolved by early afternoon. But when it was resolved, and my router tried to reconnect, it could not. It was programmed with different IP addresses than the other end was expecting me to be using.

That's it in a nutshell.

I had to update all my DNS information, as well as the root servers (internic) servers so they could find me. It was a lot of work. It would have been a lot of work anyway, but if I had known about it up front the outage might have been just 2 hours or so.

The "New" AT&T: Screwing things up as effectively as ever.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:03 am

Soo...we have a faster IRU?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:31 am

Should be.

Is anyone noticing it?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:01 am

Oh, I feel pretty bad for you. I have no idea what any of that stuff means, or I might feel even badder for you.

All I know is I came back from my little vacation and this place was gone. I assumed you all were hiding in the other room snickering as I hollered "HELLO?" over and over...

MAybe your speed will make my dial up really shine now...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Lance wrote:Should be.

Is anyone noticing it?

Yup. It's faster as far as I can tell -- not nearly as much time to load some of those animated gif filled pages.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby KLA2 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Lance wrote:Should be.

Is anyone noticing it?

{Wild eyed} NO

{Flings several feral cats and stomps off}

But seriously, all I can get at my location is dial up ... max 32KPS.
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby hippietrekx » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:12 pm

*happy dance* IRU is back. Yay. :)

And yeah, it is loading faster on my DSL. The reply pages pop up uber uber fast.

--hippie
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm

I've still been having intermittent trouble loading the page today. It may just be on my end, though; we just switched to DSL and seem to still have some router kinks to work out.

Page loads do seem to happen faster, though after two days of down time it's hard to compare. (Sort of like the New Coke/Classic Coke switch, I guess.) Glad IRU is back, though.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:25 pm

I notice little change. I get the longest pauses for new pages, takes 3 or 4 seconds as always.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:10 am

Dragon Star wrote:I notice little change. I get the longest pauses for new pages, takes 3 or 4 seconds as always.

Yeah. I set it up that way when it sees that it's you.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:32 am

Actually, I do notice slightly faster times for everything except the Index, Unread Posts, and entering a unread thread.

Lance wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:I notice little change. I get the longest pauses for new pages, takes 3 or 4 seconds as always.

Yeah. I set it up that way when it sees that it's you.

Figured as much.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 am

View More Emoticons actually works now, the only remaining bottleneck being my computer's reluctance to animate lots of GIFs on the same page. :D
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Announcements