New Feature: Report Posts (PLEASE READ THIS)

Things you should know about what's going on. New features and procedures will be announced here.

New Feature: Report Posts (PLEASE READ THIS)

Postby Lance » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:16 pm

The new "Report Posts" option should be used for reporting offensive or inappropriate posts, or posts where users are getting out of hand.

To report a post, click the new Image icon you will find in the upper right corner of any message, then enter your comments in the next window. Please be sure to tell us what the problem is with the post. Don't expect it will be so obvious that we should "just be able to tell".

This will immediately generate a notification for the Moderators and me that we will get as soon as one of us comes on line.

My goal is that problems get dealt with early and often so we can avoid having larger problems.

Any question?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby mickal555 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:21 am

Do you think this feature will be abused?
mickal555
Government Shill
Government Shill

Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS, Earth,solar system,Orion arm,milxy way,local group, Virgo supercluster, Universe

Postby frogesque » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 am

I think its a great idea to try. Anyone abusing the feature will be kind of reporting themselves and if they get to be a pain the Mods and our High One will be able to deal with them. Nothing has to be set in concrete though and it can always be dropped if problems develop.
frogesque
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:56 am

mickal555 wrote:Do you think this feature will be abused?

That's a good question.

frogesque wrote:Anyone abusing the feature will be kind of reporting themselves and if they get to be a pain the Mods and our High One will be able to deal with them.

And that's a good answer.

Reporting isn't anonymous, so anyone clicking that button all the time will effectively be going "Hey, look at me, I'm a pain in the ass!" I already have it set so any individual post can only be reported once. If 10 people report a post I don't really need 10 messages. 1 message is all it takes to get a post looked at, then it's a judgement call.

The real problem would be with a/some user(s) reporting frivolously. If that happens and it gets out of hand, I'll figure out how to deal with it at the time.

frogesque wrote:...our High One...

What a suck up. Nice. I like that quality in a user.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Return to Announcements